Tuesday, August 10, 2010

KNITTING CIRCLES

by my sister-in-law for Rafael

I love knitting and I love that many of the important people in my life love knitting too. Although the latter isn't a prerequisite for the former (!), there's something lovely about sharing a passion for knitting; sharing pattern ideas, information about new yarns, needles, notion etc etc and perhaps the most exciting of all, sharing completed works. Which is part of why I love Ravelry. It allows sharing of all the knitting-related details of life with great friends overseas and nearby.

In my family there are five people who share a love of knitting; my Mum, two sisters, one sister-in-law and me of course. I can't forget the younger generation; a couple of nieces are becoming just as addicted and passionate about knitting and one nephew (at 7!) has started his knitting 'career' too. I'm working on a few more nephews, one of whom has shown a keen interest and has embarked on finger-knitting for now, another has been living in Sweden (yes, a few of these nephews are quite grown-up) and has watched some Swedish males knitting socks and hats and the like. AND my mother-in-law is also a competent knitter.
All of this knitting had led to more than a few packages turning up on our door step this winter (or behing delivered in-person by family from out of town who have been down from Sydney for winter getaways).
A bad photo of some cute booties by Nana for Raf.

A new winter coat for Elsa by her one of my sister-in-laws/her aunts

With each package comes the left-over wool, a tag from the wool and often a copy of the pattern should it take my fancy to knit it myself either in the same size or larger for another year. Actually, I'm thinking of knitting the above in a smaller size for Rafael for next winter.

Nana (my Mum) knitted sent the above bonnet (and matching booties)

And Nana knitted the jumper too


A friend in Canada knitting Rafa this sweet cardigan (and a matching hat)

Elsa loves her knits but I think she loves her doll's knits even more at present. The dolls winter wardrobe expanded substantially this year with knitted items arriving for them too! And then I bought a few bits and pieces because I just couldn't resist. Dolls need to stay cozy and warm too you know, and clean and it's so fun to make them so.

Laundry day for her dolls



And then, I have so much on the needles and am just about finished a few things...hopefully it won't be long.

No comments:

Post a Comment