Thursday, July 7, 2011

THE APPLE CAKE


We've tried a few apple cake recipes in our time but, this has to be our (current) favourite.  For this, I can thank this book with it's central themes of giving and recieving in the context of an old women's quest for apples for this cake. When eventually she suceeds through some serendipitous bartering, she cooks and devours the entire cake. I have to say, I'm confident I could equal her efforts but, I did opt to share with the family. What great control I displayed!


The recipe is a little time consuming but completely worth the effort. The result is a delicious half cake - half bread loaf . One day a few weeks back (when we still had some decent sunshine!), we enjoyed the cake with friends at a local park/gardens and I can't help but include some photos from that morning.



And heck, while I'm at it, you might as well have our other favourite (!) apple cake recipe. Tis' the season afterall - the apple one that is. This recipe provides a use for that leftover morning porridge. Yesterday it provided a good afternoon tea for the kids and their cousins, and us sisters of course! So quick and easy.

Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
1/2 cup oats
1 cup water
Make porridge and add 125ml butter to the saucepan (with porridge) to melt
Combine following and add the above
2 eggs
1 cup S.R Flour – sift
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder – sift
Bake 180 for about 35 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment