Wednesday, June 1, 2011

SHE ASKED FOR IT

Nothing to do with the soup, except that she opted for some garden maintenance
with her Mama while it was stewing away. Wondering about the semi-clad tummy? Apparently that's what workmen do when they're working on the road on a hot day...not exactly 'hot' this day but apparently warm enough to warrant this..
At Em's request, here is 'my' recipe for Meatball Soup. This was another favourite at Bouzouki and my mother-in-law was kind enough to share it with me, now I'm sharing it with you. Years back, when working elsewhere on the island (eleven "years back" to be precise), I recall darting back to the restaurant during my lunch-break for a bowl of this soup, always warm and ready to go with toasted flat-bread on the side. It was the perfect aid to my first full Autumn on the West Coast helping me to adjust to the cooler weather, which was a shock having come from Spring in Sydney. Her lentil soup also helped me over the line. I'll have to share that recipe soon - scrumptious!

MEATBALL SOUP

Meatballs
1/2 kg ground beef
1 egg
1 onion
1/4 cup pearl rice (arboria or short-grain work well too)
3 tablespoons parsley chopped
2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped
salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients and roll into small balls (tablespoon width or so - you chose). Roll meat balls in a small amount of plain flour, set aside.

Broth
5-6 cups beef broth (I often use vegetable broth)
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
pinch of basil and or/parsley

In a large saucepan, combine broth ingredients and bring to a boil. Drop meatballs in one at a time so they don't stick together. Cook for 30 minutes over low heat, or until meatballs are cooked through.

Some additions...
You can add 1/2 cup cooked orzo or some left over rice or some cooked lentils or, well you chose really. It's an easy recipe to play with.  I'm also partial to some tomato paste stirred through the broth. I play around with the herbs both in terms of quantity and selection. In the cooler months when we don't have basil in the garden, I sometimes add a little dried oregano.

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking precious time to type this up it truly was delicious and I can't wait to try making it on the weekend. E x

    ReplyDelete